Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum
Four Guiding Principles
Our curriculum takes into account the four guiding principles of the 2021 Early Years Foundation Stage which state that:
- every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured
- children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.
- importance of learning and development. Children develop and learn at different rates. (See “the characteristics of effective teaching and learning” at paragraph 1.15). The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
Learning Through Play
Well planned play, both indoors and outdoors, is the key way in which young children learn with enjoyment and challenge.
Through play, with effective adult support, children can:
- Explore, develop and represent learning experiences that help them make sense of the world.
- Practice and build on ideas, concepts and skills
- Learn how to control impulses and understand the need for rules
- Be alone, alongside others or cooperate as they talk or rehearse their feelings
- Take risks and make mistakes
- Think creatively and imaginatively
- Communicate with others as they investigate or solve problems
The learning opportunities within the nursery aim to reflect that it is every child’s right to grow up safe; healthy; enjoying and achieving; making a positive contribution; and with economic well-being and improve outcomes.
Seven Areas of Learning and Development
We have 7 curriculum areas which are all linked together:-
3 Prime Areas
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
4 Specific Areas
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
It is important for children to develop at their pace and have time to explore their interests. Our staff are skilled at observing children so that they can develop their learning in an effective way. They know how to use language to help children develop their thinking.
You can download a copy of the Statutory EYFS Framework by clicking the image above.